families praise Pataki
By KAREN MATTHEWS
NEW YORK (June 30) - Relatives of World Trade
Center victims welcomed Gov. George Pataki's
promise that there would be no commercial
development on the footprints of the 110-story
``I'm very happy with that stand,'' Joseph Maurer,
who lost his daughter in the attack, said Sunday.
``I don't think anything should ever be even
thought about being built where Tower 1 and Tower
2 stood. ... That to me is like sacred ground.''
Pataki told a gathering of about 400 victims'
family members Saturday that there would be no
commercial construction on the land on which the
``We will never build where the towers stood,'' he
said. ``Where the towers stood is hallowed
Former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who also spoke at
the ceremony, said his vision is of ``a soaring,
dramatic, beautiful memorial that draws people
there 100 years, 150 years, from now.''
The size and location of the monument to the more
than 2,800 victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist
attack has been a contentious issue, with some
family members originally wanting the entire
16-acre trade center site to become a memorial.
Each tower occupied about 1 acre.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who did not attend
Saturday's ceremony, has suggested a small,
graceful memorial might be preferable to a large
Saturday's remarks from Pataki were the clearest
signal yet that the site of the towers could be
left without commercial development.
``We're happy to hear him address the twin towers,
but that's not all of what the families want,''
said Bill Doyle, who lost his son in the Sept. 11
attack. ``We'd like as much acreage as possible.''
A committee of victims relatives that is advising
the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. released a
draft of its vision for the World Trade Center
site last week. The panel would like to see a
memorial complex that includes a visitors' center,
a museum about the attack, a children's area, an
eternal flame and a private area for victims'
Meanwhile, a post office in Deer Park, on Long
Island, was renamed on Sunday in honor of Ray
Downey, New York City's most decorated firefighter
and a victim of the Sept. 11 attack. Downey, 63,
of Deer Park, was special operations command chief
and an expert on urban search-and-rescue. He was
one of three top fire department officials lost at
the World Trade Center.
Back to the Stories &